Try the new Librarian by Appointment service at the Atlantic County Reference Center in Mays Landing. Make a personal appointment today with a professional librarian to get one-on-one help, customized to your own individual information needs.
What is Librarian by Appointment?
- Librarian by Appointment is a service that allows you to schedule a one-time session of up to one hour with a member of the reference center staff. You will receive personalized assistance with your information needs and/or instruction in how to use the May’s Landing library’s resources. Appointments are single sessions that last up to one hour, and take place at the Atlantic County Reference Center on the second floor of the Mays Landing branch. Follow up sessions can be scheduled as needed, when it is deemed appropriate by our librarians.
Why use the Librarian by Appointment service?
- Some questions are too complex or time consuming to be handled through a quick stop at the Reference Desk. Making an appointment will ensure that a librarian can dedicate sufficient time and attention to help you craft an appropriate research strategy, locate the proper resources, and obtain the basic skills to go forward with your own research.
What the Librarian by Appointment service is:
- Librarians can assist you with projects and interests such as:
- Research for homework assignments or term papers
- How to use the databases on our library web page for research
- How to search for jobs online
- Resumes and word processing
- Business research
- Genealogy, family and local history research
- Another research topic of special interest to you
What the Librarian by Appointment service is not:
- Please understand that our librarians cannot assist you with tasks involving your private, personal financial information. This includes, but is not limited to, online banking tasks, buying and selling goods and services on the internet, credit card billing and purchases, and online forms that require entry of you social security number, account numbers or other personal identifying information. In addition, we cannot offer you legal or medical advice.
Who can use this service?
- Librarian by Appointment is available to library cardholders of the Atlantic County Library System. Need a library card (click here)?
- Children must be accompanied by a parent or other responsible adult.
How do I make an appointment?
- Appointments can be made at least a few days in advance. Schedule an appointment with a librarian by calling the Atlantic County Reference Center at (609) 625-2776 at extension 6310, or by using our online Appointment Request Form. Please be prepared to let us know three dates and times that would best suit your schedule, and after learning about the kind of help you need, a librarian with experience in your area of interest will call you to schedule an appointment.
- Please understand that it will take a few days to set up a lesson plan that will meet your information needs. If you need immediate help or if you are unsure if individual instruction is needed, please feel free to contact the Reference Center so that we may discuss your information needs.